The Livorno seat of the Chamber of Commerce of the Maremma and the Tyrrhenian is located in the historical Palazzo della Dogana (1): designed in 1646 by Annibale Cecchi of Pistoia on the wishes of Ferdinando II dei Medici “ under the pretext of obviating fraud that could be committed “by merchants who operated in Livorno, then housed the provincial Treasury, the Bank of Italy and, from 1872, the Commodities Exchange.
The building was purchased by the Chamber of Commerce in 1904, to resolve the problem of lack of room in the old seat in Via della Banca. The building, characterised by a triple-arch portico, closed off by iron gates with pietra serena ashlar pillars, was then renovated to adapt the rooms to the chamber's needs: the main elements of the renovation are the raising of the building, making the windows above the portico arch keystones larger, and the construction of a large, bright, imposing staircase. In 1975, a new renovation took place, with the opening of another entrance, for the public, and the construction of a modern auditorium. In 2007, the latest renovation, which restored the façade to its new splendour and allowed use of the large rooms on the ground floor for seminars, exhibitions and conferences.