Casa Rossa Ximenes was built by the Jesuit engineer Leonardo Ximenes in 1765-68 as part of the reclamation work on the swamp in Castiglione della Pescaia, to carry out reclamation work by landfill. It is now home to the Multimedia Interactive Museum. The educational path has three parts and is on two floors of the Museum: an original documentary about the Diaccia Botrona welcomes visitors by showing them the current environment and the result of the natural evolution and human work over time. In the second part, the visitor takes part in a game of recognising the flight of birds in a room that simulates a sighting hut. The exploration then concludes with the interactive projection of pictures and puzzles on the wooden floor that turns into an enjoyable “sensitive carpet”.
The House has three sophisticated mobile video cameras (that rotate 360°) focused on the Diaccia and that allow visitors to watch the flora and fauna from a distance, without disturbing the ecosystem: it is like watching a personalised nature documentary, also when there is a lack of visibility due to fog, mist or darkness.